- Single truck, Double end, City-suburban tram
- Two motors
- Trailer connections
HistoryFeaturing a varnished wood interior and large picture windows, RBG 955 remains almost as delivered to Rheinische Bahngesellschaft AG on October 10, 1928. Gebruder Schondorff AG, a predecessor of Duwag AG, delivered fifty motor trams (RBG 928-977) and sixty trailers (RBG 831-890) in 1928-29. Intended for city-suburban service, the series provided seating comfort and high speed operation on a variety of routes through World War II and the reconstruction period of the Fifties. A minor change, relocation of the destination sign from the right front dash to the center window above the controller, occurred late in the tram's career.
Stadtwerke Karlsruhe Verkehrsbetriebe (VBK) acquired RBG 955 on December 1, 1966 and prepared it to serve the Federal Garden Show of 1967 by painting the lower body panels brown with cream scrolls and installing orange and cream stripe canvas window curtains. Joining "Old-Timer" trams from other cities, VBK 955 shuttled passengers along a one-kilometer route between Castle Park and City Park.
The Museum purchased and moved VBK 955 to Northwest Branch Park during the spring of 1969. Museum volunteers have restored the car as RBG 955 and it is on display in Street Car Hall.
Back to top
More Street Cars in the Collections